Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It Was an Uneventful Saturday...

...until 11:00 PM.

I had finished up playing some games at a friend's house, and was going to take another friend home.  I had to take a leak, but the friend that owned the house was using it.  So, I just decided to use the bathroom at the other friend's house when I took him home.

And would you know it, a block away we hit a train going by, and must have hit it just as it got there.  So, my friend and I were just chatting while waiting for the train to go by.  I still had to take a leak, and was getting a little antsy.

Then my friend says, "Hey, is that a cop car on the other side of the tracks?"

I could see under the train a little bit, but couldn't see for sure.  "Maybe," I answered.

Well, the train finally ended and we went over the railroad tracks.  Sure enough there was not one police car going by, but two.

We thought nothing much about it, and I continued on.  Got through one intersection, and had to stop at another.  Once the light changed, I turned left and got about five-hundred feet when I saw a police car behind me, with its lights flashing.  I slowly pulled over to the side, thinking that he was going to go around me.

He didn't.  I stopped the car and thought, 'Okay, so what's going on?  Did I look like I was driving drunk [I wasn't]?  Is one of my tail lights out?  Are the tags expired?'

Anyway, I rolled the window halfway down as the police officer walked up to the side of the car.  I could see another one in the rear-view mirror, standing next to the police car.  I didn't freak out or anything; just wondered what I was stopped for.

"Yes, sir?"

"Good evening," he said.  "Where are you going?"

"Um, taking my friend here home."

"Where does he live?"

"Near the mall."

"Where?"

"Near the mall."

"Where we you coming from when you passed over the railroad tracks?"

"From a friend's house."

"Do you know the address?"

"Not off hand."

"Could I see your license and registration?" he asked.

"Um, sure."

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my wallet to get my license.

As I handed it over to him, he said: "I'll be honest with you.  There was a shooting in the area.  The reason I pulled you over is that your car matched the description of a car leaving the scene."

WHAT!?

"I don't think you had anything to do with it."  He took my license back to his car for about three minutes.  I could see in the rear view mirror that there wasn't one but TWO police vehicles there.  He didn't take my registration, but I was sorting it out anyway, just in case.

A little while later, he came back, handed me my license and said, "Okay.  You're good to go."  He went back to his vehicle, and both made U-turns and disappeared.

"Wow," I said.  "Me, of all people."

My friend got on my cell phone and told our other friend to completely lock up the house.  I dropped him off, and now that I think back to it, didn't have to take a leak anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment